Monday, June 13, 2011

Kathryn Tucker Windham

Sad news in Alabama, Mes Anges. Kathryn Tucker Windham passed away yesterday. Now, some of you may not know who she is, but if you like the HEX HALL books, then you owe her a bunch. I can honestly say I don't think I would've become a writer without her.

The first time I ever heard of Mrs. Windham was in my elementary school library. It was Halloween, and I was in the 1st or 2nd grade. Our librarian, being awesome, held up a book called Thirteen Alabama Ghosts And Jeffrey.(Jeffrey was the ghost who allegedly lived in Mrs. Windham's house in Selma.)




I can remember being like, "HOLY CRAP THERE ARE GHOSTS IN ALABAMA? I LIVE IN ALABAMA OMGWTFBBQ!" Our librarian read us a story from the book- a TRUE story- about a place in Newton, Alabama, which was only like TWENTY MINUTES AWAY FROM WHERE I LIVED. It involved a Confederate soldier (most ghost stories in the South do), and when he was hanged for desertion, he was too tall and his feet touched the ground. This was, as you can probably imagine, somewhat problematic when trying to hang someone.

So the Bad Dudes Who Were Hanging Him dug a little hole under his feet so that he would slowly strangle to death.

Yeah, my librarian was kind of bad-ass.


Although not as bad ass as THIS librarian who has a Dewey Decimal code tattooed on her body. That is one hardcore librarian.


And, legend has it that even to this day, that hole is still there, and if you ever put anything in it, it will MYSTERIOUSLY VANISH OVERNIGHT. *cue spooky music*


So while most of my classmates were all 0_0, I was more :D because scary stories set in my home state? That was, as far as Wee Rachel was concerned, AMAZEBALLS.

Okay, I didn't really think it was amazeballs because I didn't know that word yet. But it was 7 year old me's version of amazeballs, so probably "Unicornglitter" or something.


And then! Even more amazeb- er, unicornglitter, I got to go to this cool thing called a Young Author's Conference (shut up, it was totally cool), and Kathryn Tucker Windham was there! And I got to buy my VERY OWN COPY of Thirteen Alabama Ghosts and Jeffrey! AND I GOT HER TO SIGN IT! And not only did SHE sign it, but Jeffrey did, too! Okay, so maybe it was just her using funny handwriting to scrawl his name, but WHATEVER. To a 7 year old, that was MAGIC.

I still have that copy of Thirteen Alabama Ghosts, although it is pretty worn out these days. I can't even tell you how many times I read it. How I practically memorized the stories. How I annoyed my parents on car trips by reading the stories to them and then wanting to DISCUSS the stories. How I wanted to visit every place she talked about in that book.

It wasn't until many years later that I realized just how formative both meeting Mrs. Windham and reading her books was for me. She was the first author I ever met, and even though I probably couldn't have thought this at the time, I'm sure that meeting her helped make authordom seem like an attainable goal. There she was, just a lady from Alabama, just like me, writing books.

And not only that, her books were about Alabama, and though her, I learned that every place has stories and myths and legends. Any place can be magic if you know where to look.

So I wanted to take a minute and pay tribute to that. I never got to meet Mrs. Windham again, and I wish that I could have told her all of this. But since I can't I encourage you to go out and find her books (she did a number of them, all on ghost stories/folklore set in the South.) And don't just read her books. Find the stories in your own places. The legends and the myths. I think she'd like that.





Until next time! XOXO!

8 comments:

Stephen L. Duncan said...

Respect!

Rachel @ Bookshelf Lust said...

This is a wonderful post! Now I definitely plan on picking up "13 Alabama Ghosts..." sometime in the future. And I love that you said to find the stories in your own places. Those stories can be the best kind!

Carrie said...

This is really awesome (unicornglitter)! I'm going to go look for her books right now. Also, you're very funny. It's fun reading your blog.

dong dong23 said...

michael kors outlet
ray bans
air max 90
michael kors outlet clearance
oakley sunglasses
ray ban sunglasses
jordan 11s
michael kors outlet
ralph lauren outlet
coach outlet
juicy couture
coach outlet store online
tods shoes
replica watches
giuseppe zanotti sneakers
coach outlet online
nike roshe flyknit
louis vuitton outlet
coach factory outlet
jordan shoes
cheap oakleys
coach outlet
coach outlet
ray ban sunglasses outlet
coach factory outlet
coach outlet
fitflops sale clearance
coach factory outlet
cheap nfl jerseys
lebron james shoes 12
michael kors handbags
toms shoes
ray ban outlet
louis vuitton outlet
hollister clothing
nike trainers
toms shoes
louis vuitton outlet
gucci outlet
oakley sunglasses wholesale
20164.27wengdongdong

oakleyses said...

burberry pas cher, nike outlet, nike roshe, christian louboutin shoes, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses, polo outlet, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, louboutin pas cher, nike air max, ugg boots, christian louboutin uk, polo ralph lauren outlet online, louis vuitton outlet, gucci handbags, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, air max, michael kors pas cher, christian louboutin outlet, uggs on sale, ugg boots, louis vuitton, christian louboutin, longchamp outlet, oakley sunglasses, prada outlet, tiffany jewelry, replica watches, ray ban sunglasses, nike free run, tory burch outlet, ray ban sunglasses, polo ralph lauren, tiffany and co, prada handbags, chanel handbags, nike air max, jordan shoes, louis vuitton, kate spade outlet, replica watches, longchamp pas cher, oakley sunglasses wholesale, jordan pas cher, longchamp outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses

oakleyses said...

ray ban uk, coach purses, michael kors outlet online, true religion outlet, hogan outlet, converse pas cher, michael kors outlet online, nike tn, michael kors outlet, nike air max uk, ralph lauren uk, polo lacoste, burberry outlet, replica handbags, sac hermes, timberland pas cher, ray ban pas cher, sac vanessa bruno, nike air max, nike air force, michael kors outlet online, lululemon canada, michael kors, nike roshe run uk, michael kors, nike free uk, north face, michael kors outlet online, hollister pas cher, burberry handbags, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, nike blazer pas cher, oakley pas cher, uggs outlet, true religion jeans, guess pas cher, vans pas cher, abercrombie and fitch uk, nike air max uk, uggs outlet, true religion outlet, coach outlet, north face uk, hollister uk, true religion outlet, mulberry uk, coach outlet store online

oakleyses said...

mcm handbags, ray ban, ralph lauren, nike air max, nike trainers uk, north face outlet, vans, soccer jerseys, hollister, ferragamo shoes, ghd hair, nfl jerseys, iphone cases, converse, beats by dre, new balance shoes, valentino shoes, asics running shoes, north face outlet, babyliss, lululemon, jimmy choo outlet, instyler, nike huaraches, herve leger, gucci, vans outlet, oakley, nike air max, louboutin, mac cosmetics, wedding dresses, bottega veneta, giuseppe zanotti outlet, insanity workout, mont blanc pens, converse outlet, hollister, celine handbags, p90x workout, chi flat iron, nike roshe run, longchamp uk, hermes belt, hollister clothing, abercrombie and fitch, reebok outlet, soccer shoes, timberland boots, baseball bats

oakleyses said...

moncler, moncler, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, canada goose outlet, marc jacobs, louis vuitton, canada goose, canada goose jackets, doudoune moncler, toms shoes, pandora jewelry, canada goose, replica watches, links of london, ugg, swarovski crystal, juicy couture outlet, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, thomas sabo, wedding dresses, moncler, barbour, canada goose outlet, ugg pas cher, louis vuitton, pandora charms, moncler outlet, supra shoes, ugg uk, pandora uk, karen millen uk, hollister, canada goose outlet, swarovski, lancel, juicy couture outlet, canada goose, moncler uk, moncler, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, canada goose uk, montre pas cher, barbour uk, coach outlet, pandora jewelry, louis vuitton, moncler outlet