Monday, March 2, 2009

A Year From Today...

the book will be out! Yes! We can now officially begin to One Year to [Whatever the Book Ends Up being Titled] Countdown! ;)

Yes, the book still doesn't have a title. I know. We're working on it. We thought we had one there for a second, but it wasn't quite right, either, so now we're back to the drawing board. It's hard to be without a title, which probably contributed to the funk I've been in for the last couple of weeks.

I think the title is the single most important piece marketing you do for your book, so it's important to find the right one. And of course, there are a lot of people who have to like it before it can become the offical title- your editor, your editor's boss,the sales department, your agent(s)...and, of course, you, the author! So you can see why it might be pretty challening! The main issue with The Book Formerly Known as Demonglass is that there's so much going on with it. It's too funny to have a super-serious name, but as I've said before, people DIE and there is scary stuff, so it's too dark to have a light, "punny" name.

Still, I was kind of surprised by how angst-ridden/neurotic the title search made me. I got very paranoid that we would NEVER find the perfect title, and that fear really hindered my work on the sequel, probably because I couldn't work with Sophie and Co without thinking abouot how their original book was still sadly nameless!

So I decided to take a little break and recharge the batteries. That's why I've been blog free for awhile. Instead of writing, I've been reading a lot, and I took an overnight visit to The Mama's for some peace and quiet (those of you with small childern understand!) I came back yesterday- in the snow! In Alabama!- feeling much better. I know a lot of writer's advise writing every day, but I think breaks are very important.

I rearranged my office in the hopes of improving my writing mojo. And, hey, I'm blogging, so it must be working!



Small Son, loving the snow.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am breaking too. I mean, I'm still reading your blog obviously. And playing online scrabble. But real work? Uh-uh. Mind is freeeeeeeee..........

Serenity said...

Argh, Rachel. I seriously feel your pain. I can just imagine how unsettling that is. I think taking a break was definitely the right thing to do. They need to get your MS in the hands a few tried-and-true title givers ASAP and make it happen already!

Maureen Lipinski said...

Your pain is familiar...we went through like five kajillion titles before deciding on mine.

My last book nearly killed me. That's why my next book will be for "me."

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

good to have you back. unless you leave and then its goodbye for now :)

Jill Wheeler said...

Maybe you need some book inspiration cupcakes. :)

Jill Wheeler said...

Maybe you need some book inspiration cupcakes. :)

Rachel Hawkins said...

Lindsey: We are free as birds! The Mouse cannot hold us all the time! (Except that he probably totally can.)

Serenity: Thanks! I feel like such a dork whining about it, but it's important, you know? Hopefully the end is in sight!

Maureen: Whew, It's good to know other people go through this! Although I think you should fight to call your YA The Book Reulez and Has Irish Stuff In It. It has such a nice ring to it!

Shelli: It's good to BE back! And I'm sticking around now! ;)

Jill: YES! CUPCAKES! That's exactly what I need. Must call Felicia....