Ugggggggh. So I got all psyched this morning to finally, FINALLY do my big "HAWKADDA TOUR 2011" post, only to discover that my phone ate the majority of my tour pics. LE SIGH. So until I see if The Husband has the pics (since I was constantly texting him shizz from tour, like, "HEY LOOK THIS HOTEL BRINGS A GOLDFISH TO YOUR ROOM IF YOU GET LONELY!" Seriously. There are hotels that do that. It's MAGIC), I'll just do some OTHER kind of blog. Perhaps one consisting of Random List of Stuff That Is Going On? Yes, let's do that.
1) I've been up to my eyeballs in Writerly Work here lately. Putting the finishing touches on HEX HALL 3: PROMISE TO ANNOUNCE THE TITLE SOON, which is both fun and sad. It's hard to believe that I'm more or less done writing about Sophie and Co. *sniff* Oh! And in further Exciting Hexy News, DEMONGLASS spent not one but TWO weeks on the NYT list, and for that, I thank you muchly!!
2)Speaking of TRIPLE HEXXX, I've gotten a lot of questions about is it done, and if it IS done, why is not in your various faces, like, YESTERDAY WTF HAWKINS?? To which I say, YES, the book IS DONE. And by done, I mean I have written the first draft and done the first round of edits on it. We're still polishing it, and then it has to go to copy edits, and pass pages, and what have you. Publishing it a slow bizness. Also, release dates are set YEARS in advance, so even if I had managed to turn the book in, like, SIX MONTHS ahead of deadline (which- Ha. Haha. HAHAHAHAHAHA!), it STILL wouldn't come out any earlier than March 2012. And I feel your pain, Mes Anges, I do! I've been waiting FIVE YEARS for the new George R.R. Martin book to come out, and his last book ended on an EVEN BIGGER CLIFFHANGER than DEMONGLASS did.
He may LOOK kinda like Santa, but George R.R. Martin makes me cry in my soul. Y U NO GIVE ME FIFTH BOOK, GEORGE? (Sorry. The "Y U No" meme is my New Favorite Thing.)
3)In addition to working on HH3, I've been working on REBEL BELLE, the start of a new trilogy coming out in Summer 2012. (That's right! Mere months after the HEX HALL series wraps up, you'll have a whole new series filled with kissing and sword fights and wackiness!)
4) Oh, and have I mentioned that this summer, I'll be writing a spin-off to the HEX HALL series? Because THAT IS HAPPENING! And I am VERY EXCITED! So even though Sophie's story wraps up in Book 3, she might make a few cameos in the new book. We shall see! As for who the spin-off will be about, it's a character we don't meet until Book 3. I think you'll like her a lot, though. Sophie certainly does!
5) This Saturday, I'll be in Houston, Texas for the Teen Book Con! I'm VERY excited about this as A) Houston was AMAZING to me and Sarwat on tour, and B) Houston is filled with extremely delicious Tex Mex food, and as I could eat Mexican foo EVERY DAY OF MY LIFE- which, if I ate Mexican food every day, would probably be something of a short life- Texas makes me especially happy. I'm also happy because I'll get to see Lindsey, who as you all know, if one of my Writer BFFs. Also exciting? The sweet panel I'm doing with Saundra Mitchell, Andrea Cremer, Joy Preble, and Stacey Kade. We'll be talking about the geopolitical ramifications of YA lierature throughout the 20th century. HAHA! Psyche your mind! We're actually talking about Scary Supernatural Creatures (and we'll probably mention Hot Boys in there, too.)
6) Yes, I said "psyche your mind." When I was in middle school, we never just said, "PSYCHE!" when we were kidding. It was always, "PSYCHE YOUR MIND!" which I enjoy since it sounds more aggressive than your run-of-the-mill, "Psyche!" It's like, not only have I lied to you, I have effed with YOUR MIND.
7)The BFF went to this super-rural high school, and according to her, out there, they said "Neck bone!" instead of "psyche." Which just made no sense to me AT ALL. It DOES make me laugh and laugh to think about though. Neck bone. WTF? Probably had something to do with... I don't know, farming or something.
"Hey, Ma, did you plant the tobacco?" "No, Pa! I planted mango trees instead!" "WHAT?" "HAHA NECK BONE!" "Oh, Ma! You got me good!"
8)With all of this writing+signing books for three weeks+stupidly attempting to write on tiny planes, which resulted in bizarre arm/hand/wrist contortions (and the fact that I STILL only write on a laptop instead of something sensible with an ergonomic keyboard), I seem to have developed carpal tunnel syndrome in my right hand. This is vaguely sucktastic and more than a little painful. So to battle the painful sucktasticness, I went out and bought a wrist brace. This is it:
Yeah. FUTURO. So I've started saying it's NOT a Wrist Brace For Carpal Tunnel (Because I Am Old And Lame), but is instead a GLOVE OF POWER that CONTROLS THE FUTURE. Support me in this delusion, Mes Anges.
9) TV is going to be very good to me in April. In addition to HBO's Game of Thrones (see above RE: my love/hate for George R.R. Martin), Doctor Who comes back on the 23rd! I <3 that show so hard, even though it is at times campy and silly. Heck, maybe that's WHY I love it. One of these days, I'll do a whole post on how I fell in love with Doctor Who, and how it taught me a lot about what resonates for me as a writer. But my wrist is hurting again, so today is not that day.
Look at these fierce Mother Truckers, travelin' through space and time, saving the universe and being awesome.
10) Speaking of Fierce Time Travel Sexiness, a few months ago, I was lucky enough to read an ARC of Myra McEntire's HOURGLASS. Y'all. Y'ALL. I looooooved it! How much? Well, when you buy the book, you can read my gushy blurb all over the back of it. It's soooo swoony and romantic, but it's also science-y and action-y, and I ADORED IT. So go pre-order it. You will thank me. Oh, but Kaleb is MINE AND I WILL FIGHT YOU IN THE STREET FOR HIM. And you don't want that. I'm a kicker.