Monday, November 2, 2009

NaNoWriMo, Take 2

Hey, you guys remember last year when I tried to finish REBEL BELLE during NaNoWriMo, and I failed epically at it? Well, I'm at it again! NaNoWriMo, that is. Not finishing REBEL BELLE. I'm still working on that, but this November, I'm tackling a whole new Super Seeeekriiiit Project. After finishing HEX HALL 2, I was a little adrift at what to do next. I'm around 40K into RB, but I was really looking for something new to sink my teeth into. I'd thought about starting work on my New Adult Paranormal Book, but, again, after HH2, I wasn't exactly chomping at the bit to hang out with ghosts and witches again.

So I did what I always do when I'm in a writing funk, and talked to an Awesome Author Friend, Chantel Acevedo. Chantel was in the same boat; wanted to do NaNo, didn't want to work on something in her normal vein. Over chips and salsa, we got to chatting about the Super Seeeeekriiiiit Projects currently bouncing around in our brains, and we each decided that the other's SSP was freakin' awesome. And lo, a pact was made: We would use NaNoWriMo to stretch our writerly muscles, and hammer out 50K words on books that actually seemed like FUN to write.

So what IS my Super Seeeekriiiit Project? Well... I can't say. It is, after all, seeeeekriiiit. But I will say that it is straight fantasy- no paranormal elements involved!- and that I've been doing a lot of research into 17th century England as research. See? Seeeekriiiit. So far, I'm 600 words in, and while it IS tough- no snarky teenagers! Coming up with names that are "fantastical" without being, um, stupid!- it's been fun. As in, giddy, butterflies-in-tummy fun. It may never see the light of day, much less get published, but that's okay. It is my Brain Sorbet between HEX HALL books, and I lurve it.

Now, not only will I be tackling NaNoWriMo, but I also plan on- wait for it- BLOGGING EVERY DAY IN NOVEMBER! I know, I am crazy. But I think it might be helpful to blog about the wacky NaNoWriMo process, and besides, I'll have exciting things to talk about like MY COVER! Seriously, it is coming ANY DAY NOW!

So please join me on this possibly insanity-inducing journey. Anyone else out there taking the NanNoWriMo plunge? If so, buddy me! I'm under the ever-so-creative name, Rachel Hawkins. Until tomorrow, dear friends!

2 comments:

Serenity said...

Yes! Daily blog posts! I can't wait. I'm revising my butt off right now trying to get Her Awesomeness Holly Root a novel, so I'm wanting to ditch the blog for a month. I won't do it though. I won't. If you can blog every day and still pull out the Super Seekrit novel I can surely blog now and then and still revise.

Erin said...

Yay blogging every day! Color me impressed that you're attempting such a feat during NaNoWriMo time. I'm participating too and hoping that this year I will actually finish. I've failed too many years to count now.

BTW: I'm filmgeekchic from twitter that got your book from my friend at our publishing house and I'm already hounding him to get me HH2 the second he sees it.